So, what's something that I like that isn't LEGO? Robots. I love robots. I really don't understand why, but I'm drawn to anything robotic. I tried to search for a robot blog to use for this class, but most were painfully stodgy, technical blogs featuring lifeless "robots" that were mostly just autonomous sets of wheels that didn't DO anything. They just rolled around...autonomously. Fascinating. The average blog post, too, read something like "I installed five servomotors on my robot today!" Except that these posts, with a potential brevity of about one sentence, took every opportunity to drudge on for appoximately five years. These definitely weren't my kind of robots.
I'm more interested in, well...everything the aforementioned mind-numbing blogs aren't. Fictional (or at least semi-interesting) robots. The only blog I could find relating to such things was Suicide Bots. It mostly focuses on robots in internet pop culture. I couldn't see myself coming to the site every day, but it's worth visiting for the videos, such as this fight between a toy robot and a puppy (complete with inexplicable Super Mario Bros. sound effects) or this Japanese beer-pouring robot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I can kind of understand why there wouldn't be much interesting information on a robotics based blog because there isn't much to talk about besides making adjustments, i think you would have to find a blog i did that talks about advancement in robotic technology, rather then blogs about robots people are making at home(because they usually aren't very advanced.
If your interested in building robots you should check out vex robotics i got a kit for my birthday a couple years ago they're pretty cool.
So . .what would make you visit the site everyday? More posts? Additional snarky commentary? Porn? We like feedback. . .
Wow, wasn't expecting a response from Suicide Bots itself...the interconnectivity of the internet never ceases to amaze me. Anyway, there's really nothing I would change, it's a great website. (As I wrote before, the videos are my favourite part of the site, but there's already plenty.) I suppose a more accurate wording would be that it is a website that I would visit every day, but I'm the kind of guy who gets on Wikipedia or TV Tropes and gets too absorbed in that site ("One more article...ooh, that looks interesting...let me just finish this o-- oh, now I have to read this...") to actually go out and visit other sites I like. Sedentary even on the internet, I suppose that makes me. << So anyway, keep up the good work..
Yes the internets truly is a world-connector. . .Coolio, glad you like the site, it's what happens when robot dorks get bored. Feel free to comment any time (ahem) I, too, am a wikipedia junkie. I feel your fascination.
Post a Comment