12 February 2008

[ reading reflection and response part i ]

So, after cleaning as much of my brain off of the floor as I could, I decided to use what remained to take the name test advised by Malcolm in chapter two. It has to be one of the most foolish things ever. Knowing someone's name does NOT make you a "connector." You could bump into someone, exchange names, and never see each other again, and if every single one of the names on the list you knew were memories of such experiences, says Gladwell, you're still a connector. Stupid. He makes no distinction. Another thing that he apparently makes no distinction in is name choices, as these are some of the oddest, most uncommon names, excluding my own, that I've ever seen. As such, these are presumably derived from his OWN memories (as given away by his pompous, none-too-subtle inclusion of the name Gladwell), so who's to say he has any idea of how to connect with people, let alone write about doing so?

No comments: