03 May 2008
[ the oc part i ]
My family has a sort of thing for horse racing. At least, my grandparents did. Both my grandfathers watched and bet on horse races, and according to my parents, they were both pretty obsessive. Neither of my parents are into it, nor am I, but I'm sure at least some of my ancestors prior to my grandparents had to have liked it. Anyway, I'd say it amazes me that horse racing continues to be legal with all the injuries, deaths and abuses surrounding it but it doesn't. It's just an illogical (if you insist on calling it a) "sport" (as in, "why do people derive entertainment from this?", not "why is this still around?") but I suppose logic is always subverted by primitive "human nature," and if human nature tells us "why don't you take a number of large animals and make them run around a dirt track for your amusement" we don't ask "why is this amusing?"; we ask "how long should the track be?".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
zach I used to own 2 race horses who would race in the NY circuit. They were never abused. They were always fed, housed and well taken care of. Also it isn't just for our amusement to watch them run, the horses also love it. That's what they are born to do, run. And if you take that away from them, they have their "life" in a sense taken away from them. Also if you think about it in each state their are more than 10,000 jobs given by the horse race tracks as well as the horses trainers, breeders, feeders, groomers, walkers etc. So if you take away horse racing your not only taking away thousands of years of racing history but you are also taking away hundreds of thousands of jobs throughout the U.S. I did a whole speech on this issue in the Debate class with Chris, you should really read it sometime when you get the chance. I think you would get a lot out of it.
Post a Comment